Not all bracelets sold are the same length. To ensure you are ordering a bracelet that will fit properly, please measure your wrist first.
Measure your wrist with a string, ribbon or tape measure directly above your wrist bone (on the wrist you are going to wear it on) to determine your size wrist and the length of the bracelet to order. When measuring, the string/ribbon/tape should be snug without any slack.
Standard Necklace Lengths for Women
Women’s necklaces are standardly sold in even inch lengths. Follow this chart to learn where each necklace length falls on the average woman’s body.
- 14-inch necklace: Fits most women like a choker.
- 16-inch necklace: Falls perfectly around the base of the neck like a collar. On a petite woman, it will hit your collarbone while for plus size women it might feel more like a choker.
- 18-inch necklace: A common choice for women that will fall just below the throat at the collarbone. This length is popular for adding pendants which will hang over a crew neck.
- 20-inch necklace: Will fall a few inches below the collarbone and allow a little more breathing room. Perfect for a low, plunging neckline or if you want to wear it over a turtleneck.
- 22-inch necklace: Falls at or above a low neckline.
- 24-inch necklace: Falls below any neckline.
- 36-inch necklace: This length is common for pearl strands and will hang below the bosom. They can be worn as a single strand or may be doubled for an 18-inch necklace.
Choosing the Right Necklace Length for the Female Body
The right necklace can really pull an outfit together and be the focal point of a woman’s body; therefore, it’s important to consider how the length of the necklace will compliment your body. When selecting the correct chain length for your necklace it’s important to consider such features as your neck, your height, your body type and your face shape.
If possible, take the time to measure your neck before purchasing any necklace and most importantly a choker. The easiest way to measure your neck is to take a soft measuring tape and gently wrap it closely around your neck. Whatever your neck measurement is, add two inches and that’s normally a comfortable length for a choker. Most measure 16 inches in length. Add four inches to your neck measurement and that’s a good length for a pendant or name necklace (normally around 18-inches for women). Chokers work best for people with long necks while short-necked individuals are better off staying away from them.
Your height is another factor to consider when choosing the perfect necklace chain to flatter your body type. Women below 5’4” look best in 16 to 20-inch necklace lengths; whereas, a long necklace tends to overwhelm a smaller frame. Women who fall between the height of 5’4” to 5’7” can wear a necklace of any length. Taller women who are 5’7” or above can also wear any length necklace. A necklace with a longer chain will look best on taller women because they will accentuate a tall frame.
In terms of necklaces, remember that people’s eyes will stop at the point where your necklace ends so if you don’t want them looking at a certain area avoid necklaces that end there. For women with a smaller bust, a long thin chain or long layered chains will look great on you. The kind of necklace that sits below the breast line should be avoided by full figured women as this length necklace will not hang properly. Instead, try a necklace that sits slightly higher on the body, such as an 18- to 22-inch necklace.
Another purpose of necklaces aside from being an accessory is that it actually helps frame your face. As with the body type, a necklace can help you accentuate your strongest facial features and alter the way your face is perceived by others.
- Women with round faces should avoid short necklaces or chokers as they will accentuate the roundness of their face.
- Those with oval-shaped faces can take advantage of any necklace fad since they can wear almost any shape, length, or type of necklace.
- For those with a long-shaped face who may want to broaden and soften the shape of their faces, try wearing shorter necklaces. Short, round necklaces will keep from adding length. Look for choker and princess necklaces, measuring between 16” – 18”.
- Heart shaped faces look great with chokers or any short necklace as they create an illusion of fullness and balance out a narrow chin.